Apprenticeships with Volvo Construction Equipment
The Volvo Construction Equipment Apprenticeship programme offers roles as a Field Service Engineer. These are available at the 22 Volvo CE Service Centres around the UK. There are 3 Volvo CE Service Centres in Scotland, and 3 in Wales. As a Field Service Engineer, you will learn how to service and maintain the complete range of Volvo CE off-highway vehicles.
Volvo CE is one of the world’s leading suppliers of construction equipment. The company has been making heavy duty vehicles for off-highway uses since 1906. The very first machine was a steam powered road roller. Today, Volvo CE offers a wide range of heavy duty products for off highway use, such as:
- Excavators: either Compact, Wheeled or Crawler, for digging and removing soil and other materials on site.
- Wheeled Loaders: either Compact or Large Wheeled, for moving earth or other heavy materials around site.
- Articulated or Rigid Haulers: Dump Trucks for carrying heavy loads, with either a flexible or fixed chassis.
- Asphalt Pavers: either Wheeled or Tracked, for laying asphalt for new roads or resurfacing old ones.
- Compactors: to compact either Asphalt with 2 rollers or Soil with 1 large roller.
- Pipe Layers: mainly used for laying oil, gas and water pipes, or similar.
- Demolition: with booms which can reach up to 32 metres for taking down old buildings.
Volvo CE products are used across a number of different sectors. This includes quarries and road building, to ports and recycling. Most oil, gas and water companies also use a range of Volvo CE machines.
Volvo Construction Equipment Apprenticeship
The Volvo Construction Equipment Apprenticeship programme offers roles as a Field Service Engineer. You will learn how to service and maintain the full range of Volvo CE products.
New starters receive training on Health & Safety issues to ensure you are aware of the risks when working on site. You will also attend a week-long team building activity to help you settle in and to meet other Volvo CE Apprentices.
It takes 4 years to complete a Volvo Construction Equipment Apprenticeship. During the training period, you will work full-time in a Volvo CE Service Centre, learning from Volvo Master Technicians. You will also complete 30 weeks of block release training at the National Construction College during the first 3 years.
In the first 2 years, you will work towards a City & Guilds award in Plant Maintenance. Year 3 takes you to an Advanced level and the final year includes further training at the brand’s Technical Training Centre.
As well as the Volvo Construction Equipment Apprenticeship roles below, Volvo also offer a range of roles with other Volvo brands:
Roles Available with Volvo Construction Equipment
- Field Service Engineer
Education Requirements for Volvo Construction Equipment
- 3 GCSEs (English, Maths and a Science)