Apprenticeships with Wright Bus
The Wright Bus Apprenticeship programme offers a range of technical Apprenticeships in Ballymena, Northern Ireland.
For over 70 years, the Wright Group has been one of Europe’s leading designers and manufacturers of advanced public transport vehicles. As a result, the company has earned a reputation for producing vehicles which excel in style, quality and reliability. The Wright Group’s hallmark is innovation. The company pioneered the use of low-floor accessible buses in the UK. It was also the first to introduce lightweight aluminium bodywork, and it continues to lead the way with hybrid-electric buses and alternative drivelines.
Wright Group offers a comprehensive range of vehicles, catering for every aspect of public as well as private transit operations. The product range includes small buses, large buses, single and double deckers, articulated buses and Bus Rapid Transit. Capabilities include design, development and world-class manufacturing. The company can also supply buses completely built in Northern Ireland or in kit form for assembly overseas.
The Wright Group consists of 6 different divisions:
- Wrightbus: designs and manufactures buses for the European market, including the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.
- Customcare: aftersales support for Wright Bus products through training, service, spare parts and documentation.
- Wrightbus International: offers a comprehensive range of buses either built in Northern Ireland or in kit form for local assembly.
- Composites: experts in the use of Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP), Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) and structural composites.
- Metallix: manufactures metal components and sub-assemblies for Wrightbus, EN-Drive and other Wrights Group divisions.
- EN-Drive: a newly established chassis design and manufacturing arm of Wrights Group, located on the outskirts of Antrim.
The Wright Bus product range covers all segments of the market from small and midi-sized buses to full-size single deckers and double deckers, as well as articulated buses and Bus Rapid Transit. The company is capable of producing all vehicles with either Euro 6 diesel or alternative drivelines, including hybrid-electric, plug-in electric and induction power transfer. Wright Bus also offer bodywork for leading chassis manufacturers including Volvo Bus.
At EN-Drive, chassis are assembled for today’s “integral” Wrightbus product line up – the StreetLite single deck product range, the StreetDeck double deck product range and the New Routemaster. EN-Drive have capacity to also build for other vehicle manufacturers on a contract basis. The ambition is for EN-Drive to become the chassis provider of choice to both internal and external customers worldwide.
Roles Available with Wright Bus
The Wright Bus Apprenticeship progamme has the following Apprenticeship vacancies across its various divisions:
- Wrightbus Ltd (Headquarters, Galgorm) – Production, Spray Painting
- Composites Ltd (Galgorm) – Production, Development (mould-making)
- Metallix Ltd (Galgorm) – Fabrication and Welding, Fabrication Operative, Stores and Warehousing, Maintenance
Please refer to the Wright Group website for the latest Wright Bus Apprenticeship vacancies with the company.
Education Requirements for Wright Bus
The Wright Group advises that the following qualifications are “desirable” in order to apply for the Wright Bus Apprenticeship programme:
- 3 GCSE passes at grade C or above (or equivalent) in Maths, English and Science
A recent review has shown that the shop floor is under-represented by females and the company welcomes applications from females for the above positions.
When can I apply for an apprenticeship at Wright Bus?
The Wright Group advertises vacancies on the Wright Bus Apprenticeship programme in the “Bright Futures” Careers section of its website in August, with a closing date for applications at the end of September.
Please refer to the Wright Group website for details of current Wright Bus Apprenticeship vacancies with the company’s various divisions.