Crewe UTC is a school for 14-19 year olds focused on developing key skills in engineering, design and manufacturing. Students can pursue Level 2 and Level 3 technical qualifications in these specialist subject areas alongside traditional academic GCSEs and A Levels such as English and Maths.
The objective of the Crewe Engineering & Design UTC is to deliver the highest quality school leavers who will be the next generation of engineers and technicians, driving growth in the region’s key industries of automotive and rail industries. Crewe UTC will develop in all its students those abilities, values and beliefs which equip them to make a valuable lifelong contribution as creative engineers and designers of the 21st Century.
Through a learning environment and experience which model the best professional practice in the fields of advanced engineering, manufacturing, and design the student engineers and applied scientists graduating from Crewe UTC will have the academic qualifications, professional characteristics and personal qualities that render them highly valued employees, researchers and future leaders in engineering.
The Crewe UTC is led by a core group of employers including Bentley Motors, OSL Rail, Jacobs Engineering, Siemens, Bosch, Unipart Logistics, Chevron Racing, Optical 3D, Leoni, James Walker, Network Rail and Air Products with educational leadership coming from Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU).
Crewe has an enviable heritage in engineering, particularly in the rail and automotive sectors and is at the centre of the country’s rail network and has a rail heritage to rival any part of the UK. Crewe is also anticipating an exciting future with HS2 having the potential to transform the town and provide unprecedented opportunities for young people. It is also home to the most in demand luxury car brand in the world, Bentley Motors.
Crewe is experiencing major changes through both public and private investment with just under £150m on key regeneration projects such as £70m by MMU at their Crewe campus, in excess of £6m funding secured from Department for Transport to support Phase 1 of the Crewe Rail Exchange project, and £27m funding secured to deliver the Crewe Green Link Road. Bentley Motors has also secured more than £840m investment in its Crewe site to deliver a new model line and, with that, hundreds of new jobs.
After training at Crewe UTC, young people will be able to compete effectively for roles or apprenticeship places at 16, 18, and after university.
Subjects Available at Crewe UTC
The Crewe UTC offers the following subject choices for Year 10 and Year 12 students:
Year 10 Subject Choices (14-16):
- Minimum of eight GCSE or equivalent Technical Award qualifications
- Maths GCSE
- English Language GCSE
- 2x Science GCSE
- 2x (GCSE equivalent) Technical Award qualifications in Engineering and Design
- Religious Education, citizenship, sex and health education
- PE and sport
- English Baccalaureate by opting to study Geography and a modern foreign language
- Computer Science
- 3rd Science
- English Literature
- Engineering Manufacture, Design, or Systems and Control (OCR National)
- Materials Technology (AQA Technical Award)
- Visual Communication (AQA Technical Award)
- Textiles and 3D (GCSE)
- Business Studies (WJEC Eduqas GCSE 9-1)
- Geography (AQA)
- German GCSE (AQA)
- ICT (Edexcel Level 2 Certificate in Digital Applications)
Year 12 Subject Choices (Sixth Form):
- Maths A Level
- Core Maths
- Further Maths
- GCSE Maths
- Product Design
- Health & Social Care (Single and Double)
- 3D Art and Graphic Design (Single and Double)
- Design Engineering (Double)
- Business Studies
- Engineering (Single)
- Mechatronics (Double)
- Extended Project
- Computer Science
Qualifications Offered by Crewe UTC
The Crewe UTC offers the following qualifications for Year 10 and Year 12 students:
Year 10 Subject Qualifications (14-16):
- OCR National
- AQA Technical Award
- Edexcel Level 2 Certificate (ICT only)
Year 12 Subject Qualifications (Sixth Form):
- A Level
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level Engineering
- BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Engineering
- BTEC Level 3
- Edexcel Level 3 BTEC Extended Certificate
- Edexcel Level 3 BTEC Diploma