UTC Swindon is an engineering academy at the heart of an innovative engineering, manufacturing and business community. The academy is sponsored both by a major international industrial partner which pioneers cutting edge sustainable technologies and by a university with a prestigious school of engineering.
The curriculum is fully employer designed, integrating and transferring skills for work-readiness, with a vision to provide students with an outstanding technical education alongside academic achievement, and for high rates of progression from STEM subjects to degree level and employment.
UTC Swindon is different to an existing traditional school. It delivers first class education in an environment that feels like the workplace. This is achieved by delivering the curriculum through employer-led projects which tackle real industry issues.
Students are grouped into learning companies where they learn to act and behave in teams just as in professional life. They need to devise solutions to challenges and work on projects to solve problems. As part of the workplace environment they are expected to take responsibility for their actions.
These companies provide the pastoral support for students and act as a vehicle for enterprise, competition and performance management. Through these companies, students learn the language of business and the relationship between learning and financial gain.
It is common for students to receive employer sponsorship and to share projects with other students, encouraging ethos of teamwork and interdependence. The emphasis is on having a healthy competitive spirit, rewarding excellence and supporting improvement, just like in a real workplace.
Students can follow their areas of interest in either Engineering or Digital Technologies while studying GCSEs, A-levels and developing invaluable practical and work-readiness skills from the best in the industry. UTC Swindon has the support of local, high profile industry and academic partners who help to shape the curriculum and work closely with the students.
Key facts about UTC Swindon:
- Year 13 students have achieved a 100% pass rate in all A level subjects
- In Level 3 Engineering 24% of students achieved the equivalent of 3 A*’s with 36% at A* to B
- A significant number of students have progressed into apprenticeships and university degrees in engineering
- 88% of teenagers attending UTC Swindon are confident of getting a job when they leave education
- 71% of students feel joining UTC Swindon has changed their lives for the better
- 86% agreed coming to the UTC has helped them understand their options for when they leave school
- When comparing UTC Swindon to their previous school, 94% of students said the specialist equipment was better and 89% felt they had better opportunities for work experience
- 86% of students strongly agreed they had an increased awareness of STEM-related jobs and 88% were confident in their ability to succeed in the world of work
Subjects Available at UTC Swindon
Year 10 Subject Choices (14-16):
- English Language
- English Literature
- Engineering Studies
- Engineering Manufacture
- Information Techology
Options (choose 2 from the following 4):
- Computer Science
- Smart Product Design and Manufacture
Year 12 Subject Choices (Sixth Form):
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
Qualifications Offered by UTC Swindon
Year 10 Subject Qualifications (14-16):
Year 12 Subject Qualifications (Sixth Form):
Industrial Placements with UTC Swindon
The UTC Swindon has partnerships with a large number of local companies who offer curriculum input, mentoring and work experience opportunities, including:
- Johnson Matthey Fuel Cells
- Dialog Semiconductor
- Hills Group Ltd
- Intel Corporation UK Ltd
- Network Rail
- Rota Val Ltd
- Thames Water
- Arval Group Ltd
- Cooper Tire & Rubber Company Europe Ltd
- Honda of the UK Manufacturing (Honda Apprenticeships / Honda Graduate Jobs)
- Plantronics Limited
- Wilson Tool International
- Zycko Ltd
- Spirent Communications