If you have a passion for motor racing, there are many exciting Graduate Jobs in Motorsport with race teams and engineering companies in the UK. Many of these companies are located in “Motorsport Valley”, which stretches across the Midlands and Oxfordshire, as well as Northamptonshire.
A recent review by the Motorsports Industry Association into the economic benefits of Motorsport Valley found that:
- The industry boasts an annual turnover of £9 billion compared to £4.6 billion in 2000.
- Approximately 4,500 companies are actively involved in the UK’s motorsport and high performance engineering industry.
- Of these 4,500 firms, 87% export their products or services.
- Consequently, Motorsport Valley is a major source of Value Added to the UK economy.
- Especially relevant is that R&D spend by Motorsport companies averages 25% of turnover. This is more than even the UK pharmaceutical and IT industries.
- The minimum estimated active employment within UK Motorsport is 41,000 (compared to 38,500 in 2000).
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport: F1 teams
The UK has a world-class reputation and skill base in the world of motorsport. As a result of the UK’s expertise and leadership in this field, 6 out of the 10 F1 teams in the 2017 championship are based here:
- Force India: Silverstone
- McLaren: Woking
- Mercedes-AMG: Brackley
- Red Bull Racing: Milton Keynes
- Renault: Chipping Norton
- Williams F1: Grove
In addition to the headline F1 teams which attract the majority of the media attention, there are also an incredible number of other Motorsport companies all over the UK. These companies support the World Rally Championship, RallyX, World Endurance Championship, British Touring Car Championship, and also the British GT. There are also many single-make racing series such as those offered by Caterham, Ginetta, MINI and Porsche, among many others.
The UK is also home to a vast number of engineering businesses which offer a wide range of services to the Motor Sport industry, including engine design and build, race car preparation, testing and development, and many more. For example, companies such as Cosworth and Mathwall Engineering which offer a range of different engineering services for companies in the Motor Sport arena. Both of these companies also offer a range of Graduate Jobs in Motorsport, mainly focused on Engineering.
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport: M-Sport
M-Sport currently competes in, or supplies cars to teams in, the following championships:
- FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) – with the Ford Fiesta RS WRC, as an official works outfit
- Blancpain Endurance Series – with the Bentley Continental GT3, run as an official works outfit
- Rally X – with the Fiesta R/X, offered for sale to privateer customer teams
M-Sport also recruits a number of Graduates each year in the role of Junior Engineer. Graduates will work with M-Sport’s experienced Engineers, in various fields either with The Race Team or Rally X teams, and also with WRC engineers. Successful graduates are involved in the preparation and planning of documentation and car builds, as well as attending various tests and events. Graduates can also be involved in the research and development of new systems and ideas. For more information about Graduate Jobs in Motorsport with M-Sport, click here.
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport: McLaren
McLaren Racing F1 offer two distinct Graduate schemes, as well as a PhD Internship.
Engineering Graduate Programme:
- F1 team functions: Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Racing, Marketing and Finance.
- Engineering: Design, Analysis, Simulation & Testing.
Operations Graduate Professional Development Programme:
- F1 team operational functions: Manufacturing, Procurement, Programme Management, Health & Safety, Race Logistics, Quality, and Production & Process Engineering.
For more information about Graduate Jobs in Motorsport with McLaren, click here.
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport: Mercedes-AMG F1 and High Performance Powertrains
Mercedes-AMG also offers a range of Graduate Jobs in Motor Sport. These are located at the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team in Brackley, and also at the Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains division in Northamptonshire.
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport with Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 include:
- Composite and Mechanical Design Engineer
- Cost Engineer
- Electronics Engineer
- Full-Stack Developer
- Test and Development Engineer
- Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
- Simulation and Modelling Engineer
- Programme Planner – Composites
- Quality Engineer – Supplier Technical Assist
- Trackside Electronics Support Engineer
- Trackside Electronics Technician
- Partner Manager
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport with Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains include:
- Build Support
- Electronics Engineering and Software Engineering
- Manufacturing and Quality Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Programme Management
- Supplier Technical Assistance
Graduate Jobs in Motorsport: The next step
So, to search for other Graduate Jobs in Motorsport, visit iwantobea.com. You can also register to have direct access to employers offering jobs throughout the year. Register for the newsletter to keep updated with other Graduate Jobs in Motorsport and the wider Automotive Industry.