Graduate Jobs with Arup
There are a wide range of Arup Graduate Jobs roles across the business, at locations all across the UK.
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today’s built environment. Working alongside their clients, Arup helps solve the most complex engineering and infrastructure challenges.
Arup made its name in the twentieth century as the designer and engineer behind some of the world’s most ambitious structures. By 1976, Arup’s reputation had become truly global with the completion of the Sydney Opera House.
The firm’s portfolio of products and services today is even more wide-ranging. Many of the world’s most iconic sports stadia are Arup projects – such as Beijing’s Water Cube, the Singapore Sports Hub and London Aquatics Centre. In addition, Arup developed vital new infrastructure projects, like the Second Avenue Subway and the Queensferry Bridge Crossing.
That creative strength and independence of mind continues to guide the company even today.
Arup is unique because the company is owned in trust for the benefit of its employees. The company does not have to answer to external stakeholders. Arup reinvests 60% of the company’s profits back into the company, in the form of research and training, as well as sports and social activities. The remaining 40% is shared between employees in a profit share scheme. And that’s it – none goes on anything else. People trump profits.
As an Arup graduate, you will have the responsibility of managing real clients from day one. You will work on exciting and iconic projects for major clients such as King’s Cross, National Aquatics Centre and HS2. In addition, you will provide management and technical consulting services for companies as diverse as the NHS and the UK Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
The Arup Graduate Jobs programme also includes the chance to study a range of different courses within the Arup University. In addition, there are regular informal networking events and the opportunityto work abroad.
Arup also offers a variety of Industrial and Summer Placements each year, which can vary from six weeks to a full year in industry. Candidates should refer to the Arup Graduate Jobs website for details of any current placements.
In addition to the Arup Graduate Jobs summarised here, the company also offers a range of Apprenticeships:
Roles Available with Arup
There are a range of Arup Graduate Jobs available at several locations across the UK, including the following:
- Advanced Technology & Research
- Architecture, Bridges, Building Design, Façades, Tunnel Design
- Cost Management, Economics & Policy
- Energy Consulting, Energy & Resources, Environmental Consulting
- Fire, & Geotechnics
- Highways, Maritime & Rail
- Digital, Lighting Design
- Nuclear & Safety Critical Design
- Operations Consulting, Project Management & Transaction Advice
- Town Planning, Transport Planning, & Site Development
In 2017, Arup recruited around 200 graduates across the company’s 15 UK locations: Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Solihull, Winchester and York.
Education Requirements for Arup
The Education Requirements for Arup Graduate Jobs can vary according to the specific role for which you are applying. However, here are some general guidelines:
- You should have, or are predicted to achieve, a 2:1 or above in a relevant degree.
- For engineering roles, Arup prefers candidates with a Master’s degree.
- In addition, you should not have more than two years relevant post-graduate work experience, following the completion of your most recent degree.
When can I apply for a Graduate Job at Arup
Candidates interested in Arup Graduate Jobs should refer to the company’s website for application dates for specific roles. The company processes applications as soon as they receive them, so early application is advised. Assessment sessions begin in December.