Graduate Jobs with SHAPE
SHAPE is a specialist design, machining and engineering company which offers a range of high-level precision manufacturing solutions and tooling to the motorsport, automotive and aerospace industries – and the company occasionally has Graduate Jobs available in the engineering department.
SHAPE Machining Ltd was founded by former F1 Chief Designer Peter McCool and the company started as a multi-axis advanced technology machining company to support the carbon composite manufacturing sector. The company quickly expanded to include an Engineering team, with CAD and Engineering project management skills and a Composites manufacturing team for carbon thermoset and thermoplastic R&D, low volume part manufacture and hot press forming for higher volumes.
The company has a dedicated team of experienced Composite Engineers, CAD designers, CNC programmers, machinists and pattern makers with F1, automotive and aerospace experience. The company invests in only the latest technologies in CAD, multi-axis machining, automated fibre placement and hot press forming as well as ensuring that the traditional prepreg laminating and curing techniques are kept up to date.
SHAPE specialises in offering a range of services across three distinct business functions:
- Offering a range of CNC machining services to support the carbon composites industry.
- Established as a non-metallic pattern machining facility to supply epoxy tooling block patterns for the manufacture of cfrp moulds for the manufacture of prepreg carbon parts.
- Epoxy patterns, epoxy moulds, PU styling boards models, Rohacell foams and a wide variety of non-metallic materials (foams, cores and woods).
- Design and manufacture large metallic press and laminating tools for the manufacture of composite structures.
- Offering a complete range of engineering, design and project management services.
- Aerospace, Automotive, Motorsport, F1 and special purpose machinery design experience. The team use industry leading Catia V5 design software.
- Working closely with all customers to understand their requirements and design parts that meet the specification and exceed expectations.
- Design structural carbon composite parts, composite tooling, motorsport structural parts, automotive chassis structures, automotive bodywork and complex composite assemblies.
- Offering a range of carbon composite manufacturing processes.
- Supplies composites ranging from bespoke prepreg autoclave cured thermosets to automated hot press formed thermoplastic parts.
- The ‘ShapeTex’ brand is a range of highly optimised carbon fibre preforms for a range of uses. The ability to lay and align fibres with a high degree of accuracy and with very few geometrical constraints results in composite parts that are optimised for strength, stiffness and efficiency that is just not possible with traditional fabric based carbon fibre.
- Design and analysis knowledge that ensures ShapeTex preforms are fully optimised for maximum structural performance, minimum material waste and maximum manufacturing efficiency.
- Automated method of manufacturing thermoplastic composite parts for high production volumes.
The company’s head office and manufacturing site are based in Witney, which is 10 miles West of Oxford City. SHAPE also offer Apprenticeships in Engineering and Design:
Roles Available with SHAPE
SHAPE occasionally has Graduate Jobs available for Engineering graduates. For example, in 2017 SHAPE advertised for the following role:
To join a growing team and work on an exciting new motorsport project. You will gain experience of component and sub-system design, development and manufacturing whilst working to customer requirements. Responsibilities include:
- Generation / presentation of design concepts to project technical lead and customers
- Preparing detailed engineering documents such as component drawings, bills of materials, test reports or installation guides
- Using computer aided design and simulation tools on a daily basis
- Liaison between customers and suppliers
For the latest information about Graduate Jobs with SHAPE, please refer to the website via the link below.
Education Requirements for SHAPE
For the role of Design Engineer advertised in 2017, candidates were expected to demonstrate the following qualifications:
- BEng or MEng degree in Automotive / Mechanical / Motorsports Engineering or similar
The company also prefers candidates who can demonstrate the following additional skills:
- Working knowledge of CATIA CAD modelling software
- Experience of Formula Student or similar vehicle design / testing project
When can I apply for a Graduate Job at SHAPE
Please refer to the Jobs section of the SHAPE website for the latest information about Graduate Jobs available with the company, as the number of roles available varies according to the needs of the business.